Wed. Jul 27th, 2022


Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has commiserated with the Management and Staff of the Federal Government Girls’ College, Old Umuahia over the unfortunate fire outbreak that gutted one in the hostels of the school.

Governor Ikpeazu who was speaking when he went on an on the spot assessment of the fire outbreak at the Federal Government Girls’ College,  Umuahia yesterday evening decried the damages caused by  the inferno, especially as the facilities that were destroyed had displaced the students.

Governor Ikpeazu represented by his Chief of Staff, Chief Okey Ahiwe directed the school management and PTA to articulate the damages and forward same to the government, assuring that though the school is a federal government owned establishment, his government will assist to ensure the damages are mitigated.

The Governor lauded the proactiveness of the personnel of the State Fire Services who moved swiftly  to extinguish the fire and   thanked God that no life was lost.

He used the opportunity to advise Abians  and residents to always apply caution in the use of electrical appliances as well as ensure that they install fire extinguishers in their homes and business centres.

Narrating their ordeals,  the Principal, of the Federal Institution  Mrs. Ngozi  Kalu said the students were on afternoon prep when it was noticed that smoke was coming out from the hostel.

She said  the entire school community and the men of Abia State Fire Services started to put off the  inferno.

Mrs.  Kalu, who stated that the cause of the inferno could not be ascertained at the time of the report  disclosed that many belongings of the students including beds, foams, phones, clothings, buckets, books, and beverages were damaged.

She further commended Governor Ikpeazu for his swift response, adding that the presence of the Commissioner for Homeland Security, Chief Sopuruchi Bekee, the Permanent Secretary, Government House, Umuahia, Mr. Alozie Odoemena, men of the Abia State Fire Service among others encouraged them greatly and the   fire to be quickly checked.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.