Thu. Jan 26th, 2023

FG

The Federal Government, on Monday, this week declared that Nigeria would definitely witness another round of flood in many states this year, but stated that early preparations had commenced to avoid some of the mistakes that were made in 2022.

It also revealed that six hundred and sixty-two persons were killed by the devastating floodlast year, adding that state governors would be informed early this year about disaster-prone areas.

The Director-General, National Emergency Management Agency, Mustapha Ahmed, disclosed this in Abuja at the executive seminar for NEMA employees and senior members of staff selected from State Emergency Management Agencies and critical disaster management stakeholders.

Speaking to journalists on the side-lines of the event, Mr. Ahmed said that yesterday,  NiMet (Nigeria Meteorological Agency) released its seasonal climate prediction, adding that  in the next week or two, NIHSA (Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency) will release their own flood outlook.

He assured that immediately after they will gather stakeholders to critically analyse the reports and interpret them and attach them with the vulnerable areas mapping, and send out to states.

The Director General NEMA explained that they are starting early because we have seen one or two mistakes that were done last year. So they have to work together and collaborate with all the states.

On whether NEMA is interfacing with the Nigeria Governors Forum on how to manage floods in states, Mr. Ahmed stressed the need for joint work to avoid  the mistake  of last year floods  this year.

He said, “When we they finish with the (seminar), and NiMet releases its climate prediction, and NIHSA releases its own outlook, too they will analyse them and then conduct the vulnerable areas mapping, and then interact with the Governors directly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.